What is the SoupMobile?
The SoupMobile is a faith-based 501©(3) non-profit charity that 'Feeds and Shelters' the homeless in Dallas, Texas. We were founded in 2003 on a wing and a lot of prayers.Our Mission Statement is three simple words spoken by Jesus himself more than 2,000 years ago: “FEED MY SHEEP.”
What does the SoupMobile do?
SoupMobile has four primary Missions.
1. Feeding the Homeless: Annually we serve more than 250,000 hearty & healthy meals to the homeless in Dallas, Texas. We are a 'mobile' soupkitchen and take the food to the homeless in areas where they congregate.
2. Sheltering the Homeless: The SoupMobile Shelter program is NOT a one size fits all program.
In Fact our shelter program has many facets including:
- Safe House for women fleeing domestic violence.
- Multiple apartment/lodging units throughout the Dallas area.
- Motel Housing assisstance program that provides short term emergency housing.
- Sponsored Housing program in conjunction with the downtown Dallas Omni Hotel, Matthews Southwest & NBC 5 which provides housing for women & children who do not have a place to call home.
- Duplex for homeless Veterans.
3. Christmas for the Homeless: Every Christmas in an event called Celebrate Jesus, the SoupMobile takes 500 homeless men, women & family's off the streets and puts them up at the spectacular downtown Dallas Omni Hotel for Christmas. They all receive new clothes, fabulous gifts, lots of love and we hold a huge mega banquet for them and in their honor. Most important is that when our 500 homeless guests wake up on Christmas morning its in a warm safe bed at the Omni, not in a cardboard box under a bridge somewhere. More that 2,500 volunteers come to help with the event each year. Christmas volunteer sign-ups start November 1st each year at www.soupmobile.org.
4. Christ for the Homeless: On November 1, 2015 we opened the doors to SoupMobile Church. It's a ‘one of a kind’ church on the entire planet! That’s because at SoupMobile Church the homeless are the ‘MEMBERS’ & when you and I attend we are their ‘GUESTS.’ A revolutionary concept to be sure but one that we think is long overdue. The homeless have NEVER had their own ‘home’ church---UNTIL NOW! Every Sunday at 11:00AM SoupMobile Church 2423 S. Good Latimer, Dallas, Texas 75215 is filled to capacity with our homeless members & guests from the community. The homeless have been called the largest un-evangelized population in the United States. We believe that Christ is for everyone—including the homeless! SoupMobile Church is non-denominational but 100% Jesus based. In addition to the offer of Christ every week, the church also offers a wide variety of services like job placement, counseling, housing guidance, food & clothing assistance.
Where does SoupMobile get its funding?
We get our funding from three primary sources: private donations by individuals, donations by businesses, churches and other organizations, and grants from foundations that specialize in homeless issues. You can get all of SoupMobile’s financial information including tax returns on our Financial's page.
Can I donate to SoupMobile?
It's a simple truth that good works don't come free. Just like any other charity the SoupMobile needs your financial support to serve the homeless---the ones Jesus calls the 'least of these.' Because the SoupMoble is a registered non-profit charity, all of your donations are tax deductible. More details on how you can help the SoupMobile financially can be found on our DONATE page.
Can I volunteer with SoupMobile?
Volunteers are the heart & soul of the SoupMobile. Throughout the year the SoupMobile is blessed by many individuals, families, groups, organizations, businesses and Churches that come and volunteer with us. To learn more about volunteering with the SoupMobile, visit our VOLUNTEER page.
In recent years there has been a lot of negative information about charities---things like fraud, embezzlement, misspending, diversion of donations, big shots staying in penthouse suites and driving fancy cars. Why should I give to the SoupMobile?
If you have any doubts about the SoupMobile, please do NOT give to us. However let me tell you a few things that may ease your mind. The SoupMobile is an open book. We are committed to being transparent and open to you. One way we do this is to post every single tax return that the SoupMobile has filed since 2003 on our SoupMobile website. You can see all of these documents on our Financials page. And let me tell you that the IRS asks for a lot of information on those tax returns. At the click of a button you can look at our innermost finances by reviewing those tax returns. We have nothing to hide!
Why did The SoupMan - David Timothy, the founder of SoupMobile - devote his life to helping the homeless?
Because the SoupMan grew up in a home where food was scarce. As a child he experienced hunger first hand and also the fear of not knowing if there would be a next meal. Although he was never homeless, that childhood of hunger gave the SoupMan an incredible compassion for the homeless who struggle to find food every day. You can read more about how the SoupMobile came to be and how David Timothy became the SoupMan in his first book titled “God is NEVER on Vacation”. This book and other publications are available on our Shop Page.