Volunteer and Help Others
Want to help us help the homeless? SoupMobile is always in need of compassionate and enthusiastic volunteers.
The SoupMobile needs thousands of volunteers each year to continue serving healthy meals to the homeless men and women who live on the streets of Dallas.
Our volunteers are involved in a variety of activities including:
- Food Serving: Come out with us in our Mobile SoupKitchen and actually help serve food to the homeless. It's a totally unique experience and your heart will be touched in ways it has never been before.
- Food Preparation: Assembling Sandwiches, Cookies, Mixing Trail Mix, Making Fruit Cups, Bagging up Chips & Desserts, and Preparing Soups and Stews
- Supply Delivery : Transferring donated items to and from the SoupMobile, using their own vehicles to pick up donated food and supplies for the SoupMobile
- Office Help: Prepare mailers, file forms, update database, conduct Internet research, answer phones
The SoupMobile welcomes the help and support of all types of volunteer groups.
These groups are often focused around a:
- Church/Religious Organization
- Special Interest
Groups can volunteer to serve food to the Homeless, organize food and supply drives, or have a cookie packing party. Many groups prefer having a cookie packing party, as they can organize this on their on time and at their own location. (Please contact us if you wish to pack cookies so that we can inform you about special requirements.)
Volunteer Dress Code
We encourage all SoupMobile volunteers to dress casually and comfortably.
- Wear clothing that you don’t mind getting dirty.
- Wear tennis shoes or boots to protect your feet. Please … no sandals.
- Pull hair back to avoid contaminating food items.
- Leave all personal belongings such as purses, backpacks, and jewelry at home or locked in the trunk of your car; we cannot be responsible for them.
To volunteer with the SoupMobile, you must be at least age 21 years of age.
However, those under the age of 21 are welcome to volunteer at the SoupMobile if they:
- Have been pre-approved
- Are accompanied by a parent or guardian, and
- Have an appointment on our volunteer calendar.
Please no volunteers under the age of 12 — our facility is not an appropriate place for young children and toddlers.
Special Note From The SoupMan
As the Executive Director of the SoupMobile since 2003, I am reminded every day that 'Good Works Don't Come Free.' No matter how you slice the cake it takes real dollars to run a non-profit charity. We want you to know that the SoupMobile does not receive any City, State or Federal funding. We are a stand-alone charity that relies on financial help from individuals, businesses, and foundations.
So while we deeply value our volunteers, it's important that you understand that we need more. I am fully aware that many people think that the giving of their volunteer time is more than enough. And for some charities that receive major federal funding, your volunteer time alone may be enough.
However, for the SoupMobile it’s a different story. We need both your volunteer help and your financial assistance. How much financial help you ask? It could be as little as One Dollar or as much as One Million Dollars or anywhere in between. All I am asking is that you recognize that for a stand-alone charity like the SoupMobile, 'Good Works Don't Come Free.'
So whether it's One Dollar or One Million Dollars, please give prayerful consideration to both volunteering AND making a financial donation to the SoupMobile.